Friday 14 February 2014

Yum Bun, Street Feast @ Hawker House


Street Feast @ Hawker House:
Address: 38-50 Pritchards Road, London, E2 9AP
Nearest Tube: Bethnal Green
Nearest Train: Cambridge Heath

 photo DSC00091_zpsa6f67801.jpg 

Has this gotten your attention?
Good. It's about to get better. 

Forget roses, chocolate covered strawberries and teddy bears for Valentine's this year - the key to the heart (well, to mine at least) is good food and I've got just the ticket if you're scrambling for a last-minute date idea or fancy a foodie weekend.

Behold: Hawker House.

Every Friday and Saturday from 5pm-midnight until 21st/22nd March, London's finest street food magicians are here to feed you with the best grub that they have to offer. Think of an old factory filled with a giant disco ball, twinkling fairylights, mulled wine, hot cider and the greatest (but positively filthy) food stalls you can imagine. Now, I don't know about you but that's my perfect night ever right there.

Forget romantic candlelit dinners, I want my hands on the filthiest burger, fried chicken baps and steamed buns that these people have to offer... and go back for thirds.

 photo DSC00167_zps22ffa93e.jpg 
 photo DSC00117_zps4db214dc.jpg

I know, I couldn't believe something as amazing as this exists either.

Time for a drink to let this magical land sink in:

 photo DSC00119_zps0c1c89d4.jpg  photo DSC00120_zpsb9a51f78.jpg

The view from the bar - isn't she a beauty? We turned up at 6PM (I had been saving my tummy all day for this and couldn't wait any longer. Going earlier means you're one of the first in the queue whereas going later means you can be merry, have a dance and eat your burger too. It's entirely up to you!)

 photo DSC00121_zpsc6a26426.jpg

El Diablo: Tequila, creme de cassis, lime, ginger and soda. Summer in a festival-sized cup.

 photo DSC00125_zpsa0907f72.jpg

After slurping that down (and predicting my tipsiness in 3...2...1...), I ran towards the first food stall I was keen to check off my list: Yum Bun. I've stalked them on Twitter for the longest time and have waited for the day that I could try their famous steamed buns. They used to have a pop-up shop but have since left. No fear though, they'll be returning in April this year with a bigger shop (with apparently more variety of buns) - look out for me - I'll be the first one in the line. In the meantime, keep up to date with their trading days on their Twitter page.

 photo DSC00085_zpsc6407a83.jpg  photo DSC00086_zps5645fe48.jpg

If you know me, you'll know my love for dim sum and my penchant for steamed buns. Inspired by Asian cuisine, these pockets of heaven didn't escape my eyes (or tum) and I think I scared the staff when I excitedly squealed upon ordering. Patience, young grasshopper.

 We opted for 2 buns to share (as much as I wish that we could've had 2 each, I had to prepare my body for the many other food stalls I had on my list, why don't I have 4 stomachs like a cow?! why?)

The first was the chicken bun:
Japanese fried chicken, tartare mayo, lettuce and chilli dressing.

 photo DSC00092_zps9168e79c.jpg

An Asian twist of a traditional chicken burger. It won't excite your taste buds with extraordinary and mind-blowing flavours but it will offer you the comfort of a well-loved classic (with a winning steamed bun in replacement of the standard sesame topped bun).  

It wasn't greasy in the slightest and the lightly battered chicken had the perfect amount of crispiness. The cloud-shaped buns were fluffy and light yet had no problem with providing enough structure to the over bursting fillings.

The second was the pork bun:
Slow-roasted Blythburgh pork belly, cucumbers, hoi-sin sauce and spring onions. 

 photo DSC00093_zps87f762be.jpg

If you're a lover of the components that make up duck pancakes and a fan of tender meat, this is a must order and as usual, Jordan and I made some pretty awkward sounds when we first bit into it. It was delicious.

The pork belly was beautifully cooked and melted in your mouth upon contact. The hoisin sauce blended with the texture of the meat perfectly and the drizzle of sriracha sauce just about topped it off. The cucumber slices were refreshing and the steamed bun held their own, held the fillings and wasn't soggy in the slightest but offered a touch of chewiness (which worked well!)

I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Oh, the anticipation. In the tum, you go!


My reaction says it all - love at first bite ;)

I had a hard time eating only a half of it and begrudgingly handed it over to a waiting and open-mouthed Jordan. They're simply too good to share and the good news is, they have a more extensive menu consisting of fish, mushroom, duck and salmon buns all with their respective fillings and fair share of sauces. Two months to go and those babies will be mine.

 photo DSC00102_zpse2f6242e.jpg

Out of excitement and pure clumsiness, some of the sauce landed on my lap. I don't care, I would still lick it clean.

To the other buns, I'll be back for you.

In the wise words of Pokemon, I gotta catch them all (and eat it all up).

Look out for the continued Hawker House posts in the next week or so, I'll be reviewing Spit & Roast's chicken burger and You Doughnut (prepare yourselves, they're good'uns and will make your stomach groan with longing)

Grab your other half, your best friends or a randomer off the street this Valentine's Day and head down to Hawker House. You won't be disappointed. Forever alone? Bring your stomach and treat it to a wild night of food and booze.

Who says love is dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment